AHA? BHA? How do you exfoliate skin?
Looks like skin absorbing(leave-on) exfoliant is trending now rather than using mechanical or physical product as there are lots of new products being released. Some products were started a long time ago, however we(at least I) may not recognized these kind of skincare exfoliants such as toner, essence, serum and mask types because I was so obsessed with mild peeling gel^^. So I'd like to give some additional information about instore products and summerize here an easy guide to you.
It's a cosmetics for removing built-up dead skin cells and pore-clogging impurities to reveal the fresher, smoother, younger-looking skin beneath, it also helps to prevent pimples and blackheads. - I assume we all know what it is & how it works so I will simply break down with key points here^^;;
<By Types - Formulated with gentle exfoliating acids>
1. AHA (Glycolic Acid, alpha-hydroxy acids )
• Water-soluble, can lead to skin irritation
• Softens rough, dry skin and visibly minimizes wrinkles
• Reduces the look of sun damage and improve the moisture content
• Ideal for dry to normal skin types
*Use of glycolic acids can increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun, so always apply a good sunscreen when you go out.
2. BHA (Salicylic Acid, beta-hydroxy acids)
• Oil-soluble, can leave skin dry
• Penetrates deep to unclog pores and visibly minimizes redness & fine lines
• Provides anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial benefits
• Ideal for combination to oily skin types, including acne-prone skin
3. PHA (poly hydroxy acids)
• Similar to AHA but cause less irritaion
• Provides anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits, helps prevent further breakouts
• Ideal for sensitive skin
<Instore Products by containing Acids>
1. AHA Products for Dry to Normal skin types
• Is&Tree 8% Alpha-Hydroxy Acid Gel (Serum type, Apply after toner)
• Hanskin Cleansing Oil & Blackhead AHA (Oil cleanser, Use with brush for best result)
3. PHA products for all skin types, including sensitive skin
• MakeP:rem Peeling Booster (Refining toner, Apply after cleansing)
• Neogen Gentle Gauze Peeling Pads Upgrade Version (Apply after cleansing)
• Neogen Real Cica Pad (Apply after cleansing, can be a alternative toner)
• MakeP:rem Peel Me. Radiance Peeling Sleeping Pack
4. Related products (AHA+BHA)
• Manyo Factory Galac Toner (Toner, all skin types)
*After cleansing, spray onto the face and wipe with a cotton pad - Company recommended
• Is&Tree Clear Skin AB Peeling Pads (Apply after cleansing, can be a alternative toner)
• Dr.G Brightening Peeling Cream (Moisturizer, Night)
The great benefits using an exfoliant is to improve the look of dull, uneven skin tone and smooth-out rough texture. Also noticeably reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while leaving skin looking softer, firmer and radiant. I would suggest trying some different products we have now and find out the ideal product for you to keep your skin healthier & brighter.
There is no such rule using these AHA, BHA & PHA products as each has unique properties for certain skin types and concerns, however be aware that over applying and exceed times can cause skin irritation especially for sensitive skin. Also combine certain products alternately is okay, for example using one in the morning and the other at night, or alternate days.
Hope this is useful and Thanks for reading!
*Some information quoted from 'Is&Tree' Official homepage & 'Paulas Choice' official site.